Chapter 3 - The Teamwork Test

Tuesday, May 11, 2010
By johnny
Chapter 3 - The Teamwork Test


This chapter talks about the leader's job within a team. I remember when I was young I would be chosen as team leader during class activities when we were separated into small groups. And I would do my best to make sure our team wins. And this is what the leader of a team should ask himself: How can I make sure our team wins? or How can we accomplish this task in the shortest time with the greatest profit while every member's skills are being utilized to the max?

1. What can we learn from Jesus' example of how teams work together through His relationship with the 12 disciples?
As Larry puts it: "Jesus could have accomplished His work on earth on His own, but He chose to work with a team to fulfill the task. He developed His disciples by giving them intense on-the-job training. He talked with them, prayed with them, affirmed them, warned them, challenged them as a team, and even told them they would do even greater things than He did." So, we should do the same when it comes to working with a team and developing disciples!


2. Describe the commonalities all teams must have. Do you have these functioning on your team? If not, how can they begin to be built?
The four commonalities for a team to function well together are VISION, VALUES, PROCEDURE, and HEALTHY RELATIONSHIPS. I'll use my church Impact as an example: The core team members have common visions (encounter, disciple, send) - we know where we're going. We also have these values that we are willing to die for (the six qualities: influence, maturity, passion, anointing, covenant, truth). We also have some kind of procedure as in who is in charge of what (cell leaders, prophetic ministry, media, administration, worship...etc). Last but not least, we all have healthy, loving relationships like family members would.
These four qualities are meant to be built and grown, they do not appear over night. Thus, I am aiming to start building these commonalities in my cell group with Alice, whom I partnered with as co-leaders of this group. We only have 2 people in this team, but that's okay, because our job is to dig out the hidden treasures of each cell members and develop them and empower them (we'll touch on that in the next chapter), thus invite them into our team. We both have good relationships, and we hold the same vision and values as the church, but what we need to work on is the procedure - how to first build up people then train up leaders.


3. As a leader, how do you find ways for your team to win?
Well, the team that I lead has no goal of "winning" but rather "having breakthroughs". I do not think I can answer this question well because I do not have much experience of leading a team into breakthrough. But I believe that I need to acknowledge my teammates and value them and make them feel secured in the team environment; moreover, "they must all realize they have a job to do, and no one can do their job other than they." As a person who leads worship with a team, I have faced "The Calling Test" and "The Humility Test", and of course the Teamwork Test. And all I have to say is that I have learned how to follow the Spirit while I lead, and I have learned to appreciate every single musician on the team because each one of them has something unique to offer to the team. Cooperate breakthrough definitely requires unity and teamwork.


4. How does interdependence work on your team?
Larry writes, "The key is interdependence. We need each other... Organizational researchers reserved the term team for groups that have high interdependence--each task that you do is dependent on what the other team members are doing at that same time... When we understand others' strengths and weaknesses, we can build as a team, capitalizing on strengths and providing support where others are weak."
I have been learning how to be interdependence instead being independence for the past six months or so partnering up with Alice. I think we are compatible when we work together because in the areas where I'm weak, Alice is stronger than I, and definitely there are some areas to which we both are not very competent (thus we need to train up or partner up with people who can fill in that gap!).


5. How do you communicate and problem solve on your team? Do you give respect to others? Do you demand it for yourself?
Unfortunately, I'm a person who can be arrogant sometimes. And throughout the past five or six years of coming to know Christ, I see how God has dealt with my problem through communicating and solving problems with a team. I used to think that I'm always right and everything had to go "my way", but in fact many things really did not turn out the way I wanted it to turn out. No one likes that feeling of "unmet expectation", but thank God that I can always lean on Him and still praise Him! Now I probably would have a higher score when it comes to this Teamwork Respect issue after all these testing from the Lord. I thank Him that now I would listen more and talk less, and I would give respect to others when they talk and really listen to what they have to say. O I'm still learning... =)


6. What happens within you when a team member gives direct criticism or seems to resist the direction of the team?
Like I said, I probably would have some disappointment and/or anger within when a member criticizes me or my action or even resists the direction of the team, but I know that I should receive advice with humility, and not quick to judge (grr...it is a test indeed!). I'll most likely to sit down with that member and fight... i mean talk it through! "Good communication and respect for each other through committed relationships will result in successful teamwork."

stay tuned for Chapter 4 - The Release Test!

johnny

0 comments:

blind eyes open you only live once.
open your eyes.
His love never fails. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works,
which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.
~Ephesians 2:10~

Blogger Buster LogoSmashing Logo © blind eyes open.