Chapter 2 - The Humility Test

Saturday, May 1, 2010
By johnny
I've been reading Larry Kreider's 21 Tests of Effective Leadership and answering questions at the end of each chapter.
 
Chapter 2 - The Humility Test
 
Before I plunge myself into answering these humbling questions, almost EVERY word from this chapter spoke to my heart with conviction. The test of humility is so real, and it's always waiting to bust in and make a mess of me when it see a door ajar. Very well then, let me start digging out those junk and leave them to the Lord! Oh isn't He great?
 
1. How do you sometimes try to make yourself look good as a leader?
Oh no… no… of course I NEVER, EVER try to make myself look good. I'm born good-looking!… haha. *Sigh…* Many times I would be the "holy holy" leader who says, "Mayeth the-eth Lordeth Godeth Almightieth blesseth thee!" and acts all righteous in order to make myself look very polished and blameless. After all, aren't we all called to be blameless and holy? But as a matter of fact, I acted that way was to have people "adore" me and "compliment" me; I was falling for the humility test. I can probably recall times when I would unintentionally/intentionally cast stone upon others to cover this ugly monster and make him look so beautiful, holy, and righteous…
 
2. Do you understand your deficiencies as well as your capabilities? How is this humbling?
Deficiencies first: I'm not so great at thoroughly putting my thoughts into words and communicate with others with it (the words). I'm not so great at finishing doing what I've started.
Capabilities: I'm capable of facing changes and adopting cultures and environments. I'm also capable of starting new projects (though not that capable of sustaining it).
It is very humbling to know that I AM, in fact, NOT GOD. =) and I'm for real. When pride is built, our spiritual eyes start to fail.
Larry writes, "Pride gives a leader an exaggerated sense of his own importance." Knowing my deficiencies and capabilities humbles me and makes me appreciate those who have what I seem to lack, and thus build a team with them (that would be the next chapter).
 
3. In a society that encourages competition and individuality, how can you be humble?
I'm actually not a competitive person, and that often leads to losing. Hence the perfect opportunity to be humble: to lose after a long winning streak in Call of Duty, to crack my voice/play something completely off-key on the keyboard while leading worship. There are certainly many many more incidents in my life that have humbled me, especially regarding to worship leading. It has been a humbling experience definitely!
 
4. How can false pride resemble humility?
False pride is to act humbly with a selfish heart.
Humility is to act humbly with a selfless heart.
 
5. How can the accountability of friends and relationships around you help with the test of humility?
Those who are the closest to me can really help me out when the test of humility is pounding on my door. They can guide me and point me in the right direction; sometimes their words can hurt, but that's all the selfish prideful mind's fault! If I know that they love me and want the best for me, then I should humbly accept their advice!
 
6. Describe ways to keep your perspective and maintain humility when you experience success as a leader.
The more successful we get, the lower we should go. Because when we humble ourselves, God exalts us; and when we exalt ourselves, God would humble us. After all, it's God who puts us in the leadership positions, he can bring us down anytime - thus our success lies in our faithfulness toward God and our meekness before God. As Laura Hackett, a worship leader from IHOP-KC, sings, "I bow down, I get low, I open up my heart to receive Your love… Your river it rushes to the lowest place…"
 
I probably surprised myself several times with my answer while responding to these convicting questions that requires me to break myself open and be true to myself. The responding of these questions has been one humbling experience!
 
stay tuned for Chapter 3 - The Teamwork Test!
 
johnny

0 comments:

blind eyes open you only live once.
open your eyes.
His love never fails. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works,
which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.
~Ephesians 2:10~

Blogger Buster LogoSmashing Logo © blind eyes open.